Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Fourth Grade First Project

For the last several years, I have started off my fourth grade class with the book "Ish" by Peter Reynolds.  
He is one of my favorite author/illustrators and I am super lucky to have some of his original drawings!  Will share that later :)  After reading, we discuss how art doesn't have to be perfect! My goal for them this year is to think outside the box.  Put their personal spin on their artwork!  Next, I introduce them to the folk art of Howard Finster.  They are pretty much hooked when I tell them that he thought he was from another planet, put on earth to spread the word of God.  That always gets a big laugh...  His artwork is filled with bright colors, pattern and words.  We use this as a starting point for our first project of the year.  Each student chooses a simple shape that means something to them.  They fill the shape with repeated patterns and words that will tell the viewer something about them.  Here are some of their creations and the bulletin board they are displayed on-










I gave them the option to use all black and white or to color in their patterns with markers.  It was fun to watch them develop their designs and add their words.  They were totally psyched with their finished project.

No comments:

Post a Comment